THE PLANNING APPLICATION FOR A FRACKING SITE AT GREAT ALTCAR HAS BEEN SUBMITTED
This is your chance to object to the development.
Deadline End of December 2019. Take action now..!
(Deadline is provisional subject to Lancashire County Council preferred planning meeting in early 2020)
Five key arguments against Aurora’s planning application are:
- The UK does not need onshore shale gas: Offshore gas and the increasing use of renewables can satisfy the UK’s need for energy and enable us to meet climate change targets, without resorting to fracking.
- Fracking entails environmental risks: Harvesting the shale gas by fracking could lead to earthquakes and air pollution (increasing risks of asthma). Fracking uses massive quantities of water, all of which is wasted. 60% is left in the ground potentially causing toxic contamination of groundwater supplies and eventually the land surface. Any water recovered is contaminated and has to be disposed of.
- Fracking threatens local communities: Fracking can damage properties, impair the health of local residents, threaten local habitat and create traffic problems. There will be a substantial increase in lorries carrying toxic chemicals, water and sand along Formby bypass. There will be a loss of local jobs in agriculture, tourism and service industries.
- The Great Altcar site is unsuitable: The proposed site is close to several fault lines and disused bore holes (see previous article here). Fracking near these faults may cause earth tremors under Formby. The proposed site is a flood defence zone and close to a conservation area, on farmland which is a haven for threatened native birds and over-wintering geese and swans.
- The proposal threatens all of north Sefton and south west Lancashire: To be a commercial success and maximise shale gas recovery, many more wells and well pads will need to be built. This might include drilling under Formby and the pinewoods and sandhills. We will lose farmland on a massive scale.
For further detailed objections against Aurora’s planning application please click here and…
For background information to the objections, please click here.
PLEASE OBJECT AND SAVE YOUR COMMUNITY.
TAKE ACTION NOW..!
Or write to:
The Development Management Group,
PO Box 100
Quoting ref: LCC/2019/0037 and the location ALTCAR MOSS WELLSITE, SUTTONS LANE, GREAT ALTCAR
Or follow this link to the planning application and click on ‘How to have your say’ and then ‘make a representation online’.
For a PDF printable version of this leaflet, please click Planning Application Leaflet